Saturday, April 9, 2011

First Show

Let me start off with saying that I would like to thank the woman who gave me the opportunity to show my jewelry at an art gallery. 

Today I accomplished a big milestone with doing a jewelry show.  I was a vendor along with two others at a gallery and I must say it was an experience.  It wasn't good and it wasn't bad, it just was what it was.  I learned alot about selling, displaying and people.  Lets start with selling.  I learned that I don't have to be intoxicated to sell my jewelry, that I have a lot more to learn and that for the first show I did very well at selling my pieces, although not many sold.  When it comes to display, I need more money.  My table was very bland compared to everyone else table, however, the vast array of colors in my jewelry helped tremendously in catching peoples attention along with me saying hello to the customers.  And lastly people - ahh this I could go on awhile about.  But I will be nice but I'm sure you will be able to sense a little tension and ire as I write.  First off, I cannot say enough about how this was a great opportunity for me to display my jewelry and have so many different people see it, but I also ran into some rude people.  People picking up my jewelry (which I make with gemstones so some them break very easily) and throwing them back on the table.  Other people being dishonest, and then lastly, the unreliable.  Now before I go any further let me say that I can deal with the first two, but the unreliable ones gets under my skin a little.  I'm not going to explain why but when I did a show such as tonight where all of the customers where friends of the other two vendors (with the exception of 2 people - who came to see me and then a few walk-ins), it makes things very difficult to sell jewelry because they aren't there for you.  They come into the door and go straight to their friends.  They take a couple of looks at my stuff and keep it moving.  Okay I get that because I would probably do the same, but when your support doesn't support you on your big day, yeah it's a stab in the heart.  But you know what, at the end of the day I did make a small profit, not what my initial goal was but something is always better than nothing.

Now on from the ranting, I will tell you which pieces I sold and which pieces I exchanged.  Ain't that some shit, an exchange at a showing where I'm supposed to be selling jewelry.  But whatever to keep the customer happy.  Oh and one last thing, I cannot thank the one person that is my biggest supporter for everything they have done.  I'm not going to say any names but that person has always supported when no one else did, and for that I cannot thank them enough. 

So on to the pieces that I sold and made an exchange for tonight.  Lets start with the exchange cause this is so funny.  Remeber I told you I sold the Chipped Carnelian necklace (I did a post called the Carnelian Wonderland) well that got exchanged for the Magnesite and Pearl necklace.  There was no charge because the Magnesite necklace was $15.00 less than the Chipped Carnelian necklace.  Now the necklaces and earrings that got sold were the Shell and Rock Crystal necklace, the Rhodonite necklace, Olive Jade with black beads and wrapped wire necklace (I will post a pictures of these), and the brass leaf earrings.  Funny because the brass leaf earrings are actually part of a set with an accompanying necklace (but hey whatever a sell is a sell).

                                                             Rhodonite Necklace

                                             Olive Jade with black beads wrapped wire necklace
P.S. I don't know if this is how most people start out with their first jewelry show but I would love to have comments from my fellow followers.  Good nite and you will definately hear from me soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment